Friday, July 20, 2012

DIY Prayer flags!

After my sister told em she liked the prayer flags I had in my yard and showed me a set that she liked on etsy, I decided to try my hand at making her a set.



Supplies:
  • Material (red, green, blue, yellow)
  • Fabric marker
  • Thin rope
  • Sewing machine







 
Since the set she had admired on etsy included images of a heart, a tree, a peace sign and the earth I decided to find images of those to use. I searched on google images and came up with these images: peace sign, tree, heart with spiral, earth.

I used the glass from a frame to trace rectangles onto the fabric and cut the material. I decided to make three of each colour. 

Using my laptop as a light box and traced the images onto the material with a black fabric marker...

 ...and then filled in the images.
Colouring finished!
 Next I folded the top over and ironed it.
 Putting the rope at the very top of the fold, I slowly sewed each flag onto the rope. I decided to actually sew on the rope so that the flags would stay evenly spaced and not move around.
Admittedly, the sewing wasn't perfect (hey, it was my first time sewing in almost a year!) but when they are hanging up you can't tell.
 The flags are finished!
I quickly hung them up on my wall for a quick picture. If mi hermana hangs them up at her house I'll see if I can talk her into sending me a better picture to post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...