Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day! Treats!

Happy Valentine's Day!

What are your plans for Valentine's day? N and I are planning on going to dinner and a movie tomorrow. There is a great theater near us that serves food while you watch the movie.

I got together with an amiga (you can see her blog here) the other day to bake some treats for Valentine's Day.

We definitely went over board with the amount of treats that we made! I went over to her house at 4:30 and left a little after midnight. We took a few breaks for grocery shopping and dinner but spent the majority of our time in the kitchen.

First we started making the cake balls from Bakerella. They were supposed to be made with red velvet cake but when we couldn't find that at the grocery store we bought devil's food cake instead. They turned out pretty good - very tasty. I think I just need to work on my dipping and decorating skills. :-) The recipe said it would make 45 - 50 balls....we made 84. That means we each got 42 each!

We covered half in white almond bark and half in chocolate almond bark.
We made some of the almond bark pink and tried to decorate them...


Censational Girl posted about making chocolate covered caramels and they looked amazing so we decided to make them. The original recipe was from Smitten Kitchen. After gathering all of the ingredients we realized that the original recipe was for salted chocolate caramels...not chocolate covered caramels. We decided to stick with the recipe and made chocolate caramels. They were interesting but good. N decided that out of the three treats I brought home these are his favourite.
The last thing we made were brownie/cookies. This recipe is also from Bakerella. The recipe called for regular chocolate chip cookies but when we didn't see that at the grocery store we decided to use oatmeal chocolate chip cookies instead. It turned out great and N and I have each had one as a breakfast dessert for the past two days. :-) Mmm.

4 comments:

  1. "breakfast dessert," huh? Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Brownie cookies! I see diabetes in my future.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these!

    Also I nominated you for the "Beautiful Blog" Award!
    Come over to my blog to redeem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made cake balls over Christmas, and they were harder than I thought to dip. Once I froze them, it was significantly easier.

    I'm passing the Sunshine Award to you. Details on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...